Wednesday, March 08, 2006

The Schwinn family

Continuing the theme, this is me and me first um, pet bicycle, circa 1977 or so. Note the protective plaid pants to guard against falls. It was actually a convertable bike for boys or girls. Just unbolt the top cross bar and attach it down by the pedals and boom! Instant chick ride. I wanted a bmx bike, but the kind young man behind me acquiesced a few years later and got me the bike of my dreams: The Schwinn SX 1000! Still have it in the garage. Great bike. Thanks dad!

Also, check out the fine physical specimen that is William I. Salas! I think that's when he swam 60 laps a night or something. But he was a male chauvinist pig. At least that's what it says on his Tshirt.

2 comments:

ible said...

It was "in" to be a chauvanist pig then . I used to swim 72 laps during lunch hr, & again after dinner . I did so until 1980 ,That was the year we moved to B'Ham. I barely swim 20 laps now at any given time .

Those bikes are collectors items now because the Shwinn Co. no longer makes them. Any body from Yahoo City to Siberia can make a bike and stick the "Shwinn" name on it - - - for a price . I still pedal my original Shwinn down the lane to get the mail.

AAM said...

The plaid 'toughskins' from sears are also to get the chicks. Very hip. You both look quite handsome, piggy tee shirt not withstanding.