I'm now a little scared to post this next one (while putting off doing a freelance job as long as possible) of mom herself on "Chan" from that same year. Chan was a quarter horse? No, he was a "Saddle bred Hackney Cross" according to the back of the photo. What's that? Did mom own him? And who's the handsome collie? Where was this? My mind wants to place it as Grandma's and Grandpa's in Salmon Arm, but I think this pre-dates that...?
And love the jaunty cowgirl hat!
1 comment:
Chan was indeed half hackney, the high stepping carriage horse bred for royalty. She (a mare) was the first horse I owned, and was wonderful. She could jump, pull a cart, was trained to play polo, had 5 gaits, and yes, that amazing high stepping action that made all the little girls want her. But my dad paid the princely sum of $125 for her, $25 more than he wanted to. Lassie (I didn't name her...) is the border collie in front of the coal shed. That square window is where the truck poured in the coal. I guess that really dates me! And I love the hat, too.
Mille
Post a Comment